In the early part of the last century Tom & Jane Rippon opened a shop in Moulsham Street in Chelmsford. Music and Bicycles (Tom was a keen cyclist) were originally the core of the business, but newspapers, magazines and periodicals were soon added.
At the suggestion of Fleet Street they started wholesaling news items to local shops in the 1920s.
Between 1910 and 1923 they had four children, Alan, Stella, Tessa and Peter, who as they got older all had to help in the business.
In 1930 although only in his early forties Tom sadly passed away. Jane took over the reins, helped by her children and by now concentrating on news and ancillary items the business continued to grow.
The war years, with both Alan and Peter in the Armed Forces proved extremely difficult but both the wholesale and retail sides of the business survived.
After the war and by now joined as Directors by Alan and Peter the business grew steadily until in 1964 they moved the wholesale operation into purpose built premises in Regina Road in Chelmsford.
In 1968 the indominatable Jane passed away but Alan and Peter by now joined by their wives Meryl and Olga on the Board of Directors, continued to expand both aspects of the business. Eventually the wholesale operation extended over most of central Essex and 52 retail outlets covering Essex and adjoining counties operated under the T.C. News banner.
In 1985 the wholesale company was sold to W.H. Smith and in 1989 T.C. News was sold to Eastern Counties Newspapers.
Since then the group of companies has concentrated on property and has built up a substantial portfolio both through purchases and their own developments.
Sadly, Alan, Peter, Meryl and Olga have all passed away but Peter’s daughter Gina and son Peter are on the Board of Directors, thus carrying on the family name.